Zackenberg [438-2] is a former trappers' station, located on the west side of the Zackenberg river in Young Sund. In 1991 and 1992 the hut was restored by Nanok. Zackenberg used to be is well suited for overnight stay and as temporary base camp for 2-4 persons, but has now become increasingly attacked by mold.
OBS! Visitors must NOT use any supplies belonging to the Sirius Sledge Patrol, including: fuel, coal, food, dog food, equipment, etc.
The house must always be left only in a good condition, meaning:
- Any damages repaired
- All doors and windows / shutters securely closed
- Coal stove cleaned for ashes and ready for use
- Floor nicely swept and cleaned
- Coal bucket filled with coal
- Pieces of firewood put in paraffin
- Hut lamp filled and the glass removed
- Matchboxes with matches ready in opening
- Snow shovel secured and visible on the outside of the hut
- Never use all coal and fuel
- No garbage or open and smelling food in or near the hut
- Never leave any food opened. The smell attracts polar bears, and nobody else will eat it anyway
Note: Due to possible damage by polar bears the present condition of the station is unknown.
Number in brackets [ ] refer to hut number in Peter Schmidt Mikkelsen: "North-East Greenland 1908-60. The Trapper Era" (2008) published by Scott Polar Research Institute.